Body sculpting after pregnancy is a series of procedures that addresses the changes a woman’s body undergoes as a result of pregnancy and childbirth. These changes can be difficult–while having a child can be a beautiful experience, no woman can anticipate the feelings of dissatisfaction that a softer, and oftentimes “saggier” body can bring. (1)
Body sculpting procedures such as liposuction and tummy tucks help women regain control over their bodies so that they can feel like the pre-pregnancy woman they were, as they grow into their role as new mothers.
Advanced Body Sculpting has helped patients to achieve the post-pregnancy bodies they desire using state-of-the-art liposuction techniques. Our custom procedures have given women more confidence in their appearance. If you are interested in learning more about how body sculpting can help you to effectively address postpartum changes in your body, contact us today at our Englewood office, at (303) 708-8770, or via our online contact form.
Before and After Photos
A woman’s body can change drastically during pregnancy as a result of fluctuating hormone levels. These changing levels can impact weight loss and gain.
- Over the course of nine months, abdominal skin stretches, and the abdominal muscles can become damaged and separate.
- The mid-section and breasts develop stretch marks.
- The shape and size of your breasts may also increase.
- Breastfeeding causes the breasts to sag.
- New mothers often experience a weakened abdominal wall and distended belly.
A child may be cause for a new, exciting stage in life–but the effects on your body can leave you feeling like you’ve lost a part of the girl you once knew. Body sculpting can help you gain her back. At Advanced Body Sculpting, we focus primarily on body contouring procedures such as liposuction and tummy tucks to help women attain their pre-pregnancy physique.
Liposuction can be ideal for women who have post-pregnancy weight over the course of months to a year, and who want to reduce localized fat deposits. Depending on the technique utilized, liposuction can also tighten the surrounding skin for more definition; and reduces love handles and bulging. Other areas that are commonly addressed with liposuction include the jawline, abdomen, pubis, back, hips, buttocks, inner and outer thighs, calves and ankles, inner knees, and arms.
Types Of Liposuction (2)
- Tumescent Liposuction: A surgeon manually loosens and removes fat with a cannula. The addition of tumescent fluid to the treatment area before surgery reduces the amount of force and energy needed to remove fat effectively.
- VASER: VASER stands for Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance. VASER liposuction utilizes ultrasound technology to break down fat without generating harmful heat. The high-tech cannula is formulated to reduce trauma to surrounding skin tissues. VASER liposuction also allows for the sculpting of treated fat cells for a more defined appearance.
- SmartLipo: This energy-based form of liposuction uses laser energy to melt fat, making it easier to remove more unwanted fat deposits. SmartLipo also has the advantages of being performed under local anesthesia, and offers optimal skin retraction after surgery.
Also called abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck can correct distended, bulging abdominal muscles. (3) Many women struggle with this condition postpartum. This condition is medically referred to as “diastasis recti”. Diastasis recti involves the stretching of the abdominal muscles to the point of separation. (3) This separation leads to a bulge in the abdominal area for months or years post-pregnancy.
If left untreated, diastasis recti can harm a woman’s health and quality of life. If the tissue tears–which is possible with continued stretching and separation–a person may also develop a hernia.
Last but not least, a combination procedure of liposuction and abdominoplasty for the joint benefit of reducing fat and tightening the skin, while also correcting diastasis recti. Called lipoabdominoplasty, this procedure helps to achieve what liposuction alone cannot. (4)
Benefits of postpartum body sculpting include:
- Long-lasting results
- Quick recovery time
- Improved self-esteem
- Reduction of stretch marks
- Tighter, firmer, smoother skin
- Flatter abdominal profile and waist
- Targeted procedure that treats specific areas
- Improved shape and overall contours of the body
You may be a good candidate for body sculpting after pregnancy if:
- You have a healthy body weight that does not fluctuate
- You don’t smoke
- You have good overall health
- You carry realistic goals for the procedure
- You have parts of your body that have been impacted moderately to severely by pregnancy–sagging, stretch marks, and extra fat stores–and you want an effective treatment to address these changes
We recommend that women wait six months to one year after pregnancy for body sculpting procedures. You may not be a good candidate for body sculpting if you are in poor health, or if you smoke.
The doctors at Advanced Body Sculpting have helped numerous patients to achieve the firmer, sleeker body contours they desire so they may feel like the best version of themselves. In a consultation, we will discuss the challenges you face in your postpartum body, and how we may be able to help to restore it with fat removal and other restorative procedures. If you are ready to learn more about how body sculpting can give you the shape you desire as you begin a new journey as a new parent, contact us today at our Englewood office, at (303) 708-8770, or via our online contact form. Also, learn more about our body sculpting work on our blog!
In preparation for body sculpting, you should:
- Take about two weeks off of work for recovery.
- Get rest in preparation for the procedure
- Arrange for someone to drive you home from the procedure and stay with you the first 24 hours after.
- Complete home and office work in advance--you may be too tired to complete tasks in the initial phase of recovery.
- Prepare your residence for recovery with healthy snacks, entertainment, and prescribed medication.
Both liposuction and tummy tuck procedures require the use of general anesthesia. Liposuction can take anywhere from one to four hours, depending on the areas treated. A tummy tuck can take between two to five hours. For liposuction, your surgeon will make incisions in the treatment area–whether the abdomen, thighs, legs, buttocks, hips, or another treatment area. Fat will be loosened using either a tumescent solution of epinephrine, saline, and anesthetic, and VASER liposuction can also aid in the fat removal process. This procedure uses ultrasonic energy to aid in the removal of fat and allows your surgeon to precisely sculpt the contours your desire. Your surgeon will use a small cannula, or surgical vacuum, to remove the excess fat.
For patients undergoing a tummy tuck procedure, an incision will be made on the lower abdomen above the mons pubis, or pubic bone. This placement keeps the incision hidden. Your surgeon will then separate the skin and fat from the abdominal muscles up to the rib cage. They will then remove excess skin around the muscles and tighten muscles to strengthen the abdominal wall weakened through pregnancy. The abdominal wall will then be stitched back into place. Drains may be placed under the incision to allow fluid to drain.
Recovery for each procedure takes about six weeks for bruising and swelling to subside, and the body to heal. During this time, patients should wear a compression garment, follow all post-operative instructions, and avoid strenuous activity for optimal healing.
Patients will experience a more defined physique with improved skin elasticity, and long-lasting results. With liposuction, patients will experience less fat in the thighs, abdomen, legs, buttocks, waist, hips, knees, or specific treated areas. Additionally, the abdomen will be firmer and tighter as a result of a tummy tuck. Patients should maintain healthy eating and exercise habits for upkeep.
Cost of Postpartum Body Sculpting in Englewood
The cost of body sculpting will vary from patient to patient. Body sculpting is a highly customized treatment that addresses the unique effects of pregnancy and childbirth of each woman. We will gladly provide an approximate cost estimate in a consultation–contact us today at our Englewood location, at (303) 708-8770, or via our online contact form.
- Hodgkinson EL, Smith DM, Wittkowski A. Women’s experiences of their pregnancy and postpartum body image: a systematic review and meta-synthesis. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014 Sep 23;14:330. doi: 10.1186/1471-2393-14-330.
- Bartow MJ, Raggio BS. Liposuction. [Updated 2022 Sep 26]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK563135/.
- Nahabedian MY. Management Strategies for Diastasis Recti. Semin Plast Surg. 2018 Aug;32(3):147-154. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1661380.
- Borille G, Pereira Filho G, Zancanaro M, Giannini R, Reynosso L, Avalos V, Nahas F. Medium Definition Liposuction Abdominoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2022 May 16;10(5):e4053. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000004053.