Semaglutide is an extremely popular and effective weight management medication that is also prescribed to help control type 2 diabetes. It works by stimulating the body to produce more insulin, a hormone that plays a huge role in regulating hunger and satiation. When semaglutide is paired with a healthy diet and regular exercise, it can help patients feel more in control of their appetite. However, after losing weight, patients may find they have excess skin and tissue pockets and a less well-defined body contour.
At Advanced Body Sculpting Institute, we are dedicated to providing comprehensive care by utilizing the latest technologies in body contouring. We offer a wide variety of procedures including VASER liposuction, tummy tucks, and non-invasive options like EMSCULPT NEO and Cellulaze to get patients looking and feeling their absolute best.
You may know semaglutide as its brand names Ozempic, Wegovy, or Rybelsus. For those who are willing to follow a healthier diet and lifestyle, they can be an incredible aid for achieving weight loss. They specifically eliminate the source of overeating and unhealthy eating habits- strong hunger cravings. Semaglutide is able to accomplish this by imitating the GLP-1 hormone, making it a GLP-1 agonist medication. GLP-1 and GLP-1 agonists modify the amount of insulin within the blood, a hormone that keeps blood sugar under control.
How Insulin Works
Although blood insulin levels shift throughout the day, there is usually a normal level at which most people without diabetes maintain. Insulin levels are most affected by the types of food we eat and at what time of day. When food is consumed, insulin works to break down the glucose (sugar) within it and process it so it doesn’t remain in the bloodstream. For people with type 2 diabetes, this process is disrupted. Their blood sugar levels remain relatively high since their body can’t produce enough insulin. This makes diabetics more susceptible to heart disease, kidney disease, and even nerve damage. (1)
When you take semaglutide, the resulting insulin that is produced sends signals to the part of the brain that is responsible for feelings of hunger- the hypothalamus. Once this signal is interpreted by the brain, you’ll stop feeling incessant hunger which can lead people to poor food choices.
What the Research Says
Prior to semaglutide gaining FDA approval in 2017, there had already been multiple studies that supported its safety and effectiveness. In one study, participants with an average BMI of 37.9 reaped the most benefits from weekly 2.4 mg doses of semaglutide. The participants experienced amazing results after finishing this 68-week study plan- on average, they lost 28% of their initial weight. (2) The research was conducted over the course of more than a year, showing that the medication is capable of promoting significant results over a long period of time.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Semaglutide
By implementing weekly doses of semaglutide in the form of an injection or a pill, you can experience the numerous benefits that make the medication so popular:
- You will be satiated and more capable of making smarter food choices.
- The resulting weight loss will boost your energy levels, place less weight on your joints, and even optimize your blood circulation and oxygenation. (3)
- Type 2 diabetics can better manage blood sugar levels.
- Weekly at-home injections are compatible for those with a busy lifestyle.
- It has been linked with heart health benefits. (4)
- The resulting weight loss will be a confidence boost and even change how you present yourself to the world.
On the other hand, semaglutide has some disadvantages:
- Many patients experience gastrointestinal issues such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Weight loss leads to a reduction in thick collagen fibers and an increase in elastin fibers, leading to skin that feels and appears overly elastic.
- As soon as your BMI is 30 or lower, you may find it necessary to undergo a body sculpting surgery. Tummy tucks can address loose skin, while VASER liposuction or the muscle-defining VASER Hi-Def liposuction can aid in the removal of residual fat deposits.
- You may experience “Ozempic butt”, a condition in which the fat in the buttocks region atrophies and leads to a loss of projection. Skin folding and creasing become more apparent on the underside of the buttocks. The Brazilian butt lift can help remedy this cosmetic issue without having to hit the gym or gain unhealthy weight back.
- “Ozempic face” can lead to accelerated development of signs of aging such as jowling, forehead wrinkles, and loss of volume in the cheeks.
At Advanced Body Sculpting Institute, we prioritize personalized, thorough attention toward all of our patients’ cosmetic needs. For individuals seeking body sculpting following weight loss after semaglutide, a personal consultation with one of our patient coordinators is the first step towards achieving the body you’ve always desired for yourself. Our staff will go over your minimally invasive and non-invasive options that will serve to highlight your natural curves and sculpt unwanted fat deposits with ease.
When it comes time to further perfecting your look after your weight loss, ABS offers these procedures:
VASER stands for vibration amplification of sound energy at resonance, ultrasound energy that emulsifies fat, allowing for the precise removal of fat deposits. As a more advanced technology, it allows for a more comfortable recovery process, has lower complication rates, and is much more efficient than standard liposuction. (5)
VASER Hi-Def Liposuction
VASER Hi-Def involves VASER technology that closely sculpts around your natural anatomy a creates a more defined contour. Thin layers of fat are strategically left behind in order to add muscular definition to the arms, legs, or abdomen. While you may feel amazing in your body after semaglutide treatment, for many, a toned abdomen is incredibly difficult to achieve due to genetics or age factors. VASER Hi-Def can produce dramatic results for the midsection in particular.
With EMSCULPT NEO, you can enjoy the results of thousands of sit-ups without the pain or soreness associated with going to the gym. EMSCULPT NEO non-invasively administers high-intensity focused electromagnetic energy (HIFEM) that safely causes the abdominal muscles to contract. As a result, you build muscle mass. The device also distributes radiofrequency (RF) energy that contracts the collagen and elastin fibers within the skin, causing an overall skin-tightening result.
Cellulaze works to break apart the fibrous septae, the bands that form just under the skin and contribute to the appearance of cellulite. Although harmless, these bands create a dimpled look in the skin as underlying fat places pressure on the skin. The device administers a high-frequency laser energy with wavelengths of 1440 nm. This thermal energy is only emitted at the tip, so it allows the provider to make more precise movements when breaking down the tissues that make your subcutaneous fat look uneven. Since cellulite is extremely common in nearly all women, even those who are not overweight, Cellulaze can provide dramatic improvements for all body types.
Cost of Post-Ozempic Body Contouring in Denver
The cost of your procedure will depend on the extent of the surgery, anesthesia fees, and other surgical fees. At ABS, we want to make liposuction as accessible and affordable as possible, which is why we offer financing options for all interested patients. To inquire about our liposuction techniques or other procedures we provide, call us at (303) 708-8770 to reach our office, or send us your request for a consultation online.
What determines how much skin sagging I will have after taking semaglutide?
Semaglutide doesn’t directly cause skin sagging, but the weight loss associated with it does. The amount of sagging, or ptosis, that you’ll experience depends on how much weight you lose, your age, and your genetics. Younger people tend to have more rigid, taut skin since it produces more collagen than older people.
Does VASER liposuction help with skin sagging after taking semaglutide?
VASER is used to make liposuction safer and more efficient at precisely removing subcutaneous fat. As well as removing fat, it can help to tighten skin following massive weight loss to a certain extent.
Can a Brazilian butt lift fix “Ozempic butt”?
A Brazilian butt lift, or BBL, can work wonders for enhancing the buttocks region after experiencing the less-desirable effects of semaglutide. It is a fat transfer procedure that utilizes your own tissues, so you can expect results to look incredibly natural.
- Mouri Mi, Badireddy M. Hyperglycemia. National Library of Medicine. Published 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430900/
- Wilding JPH, Batterham RL, Calanna S, et al. Once-Weekly Semaglutide in Adults with Overweight or Obesity. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2021;384(11). doi:https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2032183
- Vaughan RW, Cork RC, Hollander D. The effect of massive weight loss on arterial oxygenation and pulmonary function tests. Anesthesiology. 1981;54(4):325-328. doi:10.1097/00000542-198104000-00013
- Singh G, Krauthamer M, Bjalme-Evans M. Wegovy (semaglutide): a new weight loss drug for chronic weight management. Journal of Investigative Medicine. Published online October 27, 2021:jim-2021-001952. doi:https://doi.org/10.1136/jim-2021-001952
- Ruff PG, Garcia O, Nykiel M, Galanis CJ. Consensus-based Recommendations for Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance Ultrasound-assisted Liposuction. Plastic and reconstructive surgery Global open. 2023;11(7):e5110-e5110. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/gox.0000000000005110